SEND – Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Miss Hancock & Mrs Catchpole are our Special Education Needs and Disabilities Co-Ordinators (SENDCOs). They ensure that all children, regardless of their needs receive the same high-quality education as every other single child in the school. If you would like to discuss your child’s educational needs, please ask to speak to them.

To contact Miss Hancock or Mrs Catchpole, please use the following details.
01482 761321

How we identify SEN at The Parks.

At The Parks, we work alongside children and families in order to identify special educational needs.  When identifying special educational needs, we consider the legal definition of SEN in the SEND Code of Practice 2014, which states that a child has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

  • Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others the same age; or
  • Have a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools.

If concerns are raised, we will observe the child, assess their progress and/or carry out assessments in order to identify their needs and support them.

What our SEN provision looks like at The Parks.

At The Parks, we provide equality of education to all children.  The support your child receives will be suited to his/her individual needs to ensure he/she makes expected progress in line with his/her peers.  This may include classroom adaptations, 1:1 interventions or group interventions to support your child’s area of need.  Your child will also likely have a support plan to outline their provision and regular reviews will be made in conjunction with parents.

The Local Offer for SEN

The Local Offer website has a range of information and advice about education, health & social care and activities to support children with SEN.  Through the website, you can contact professionals and organisations for support with your child.  For more information, visit the following link: Homepage (

The route for EHCPs/How do EHCPs work

As a parent, if you have concerns that the support your child is receiving is not meeting his/her needs, you can apply for an EHC needs assessment from the local authority.  The local authority will decide if SEN support in school meets your child’s needs, or if he/she needs an EHC plan.

It is important that we work together in order to provide evidence to the local authority that your child is not making expected progress with SEN support in school.  You will receive a response within 6 weeks and you have the option to appeal any decision made.

If the EHC request is accepted, a plan will be drafted through a meeting with parents/carers, school staff and other professionals.  You will then have the option to agree to the plan or request amendments.